In the western part of the entrance into the Vis harbour there lies an islet
called Host, elongated in shape, 360 metres long and 120 metres wide, only
1200 metres away from the centre of Vis Town.
About the accommodation unit
Docking area is located in the west part of the islet, from where a walking
path leads through the pines to the lighthouse. The lighthouse building, built
in 1873, is in the east of the islet. The spacious stone-paved terrace that
surrounds the lighthouse offers a view of the open sea and the Vis harbour.
Sunrise and sundown are particularly attractive viewed from this terrace.
Check in from 12:30 pm.
Check out before 09:30 am.
Free parking in Vis Town!
There is a small beach immediately beneath the lighthouse. Both piers are also
suitable for bathing.
Transfer is organised from the Vis harbour. The boat ride takes only 5
minutes. Return transfer is included in the price of accommodation.
Supplies can be easily purchased in Vis Town, while catering from Hotel San
Giorgio is also available.
Interesting to know
The Host islet and lighthouse got their name from William Host, a British sea
captain nicknamed Young Nelson. He inflicted significant losses to Napoleon´s
fleet in a naval battle in this area in 1811. The islet was named after him to
honour the courage he had shown in the face of an overwhelmingly numerous
enemy. The sea bed off the north part of the islet hides an archaeological
site, while the sea bottom configuration is in itself attractive for all kinds
of underwater sport activities.